An IP address in Russia is necessary if you like watching Russian content while being in a foreign country. But how to get it? We answer this and other question in our detailed guide. Make sure to read further to learn how to get a Russian IP address. With one of the tools we recommend, geo-restrictions, Internet censorship, and data monitoring will no longer be a problem.
Table of Contents
Three Main Reasons to Get an IP Address from Russia
More than 300 million people speak Russian but not all of them live in the Russian Federation. The language is widely spoken in the former USSR countries that create a demand for Russian-language television, films, music, and the news. Sadly, a lot of content created in Russia and interesting for people outside its boundaries is simply geo-blocked. Don’t worry though, a Russian IP address can help unlock many videos on RuTube and provide access to Russian online TV and other web services.
If you are a Russia resident who often travels abroad and uses online payment systems, you need to take care of getting a Russian IP for online banking. If you access your accounts with an IP address from your home country, you won’t run into any access issues. Otherwise, your service may temporarily block your account to prevent fraud.
A Russian IP address will also come in handy for SEO specialists. If you need to find out how your websites are doing in Russian search engines, such an IP will force Google to show search results specifically for this country.
VPN vs Proxy: Which One to Choose?
Now that you know why get a Russian IP address, let’s look at two solutions that can deliver it – a VPN and proxy.
Both VPNs and proxies have server networks spanning across the globe. When you connect to a server in a certain country, it assigns one of its IP addresses to you. Thus, if you need an IP address in Russia, you need to connect to a Russian VPN or Proxy server.
In other aspects, proxies and VPNs are different technologies. Below are brief overviews of their main features:
- Use encryption to protect user traffic from monitoring;
- Supply apps for a vast array of devices and operating systems including desktop computers, mobile devices, TV boxes, game consoles, routers, smart TVs, and others. Also available as browser extensions;
- Apps come complete with a variety of useful features including obfuscated servers or stealth protocols, split-tunneling, built-in anti-malware, kill switch and many others;
- Trustworthy VPNs don’t log user activities;
- VPNs are able to circumvent geo-blocking even despite strict anti-VPN policies;
- Can easily bypass country level firewalls.
- Don’t feature encryption;
- Can be set up as a browser extension, as an add-on for certain apps, as well as a dedicated client for mobile devices;
- Deliver marginally better speeds than VPNs;
- Not suitable for activities demanding strong security;
- Fail to unblock streaming services such as Netflix.
As you can see, a VPN is a more favorable option in regard to security, functionality, and ease of use.
Selecting the Right VPN for Your Needs
If you want your VPN service to be on point, you need to make sure it comes with the following features:
- Servers in Russia – this is the most important condition;
- Reasonable prices;
- Fast connection speed;
- DNS/IP leak protection;
- Capability to get around geo-restrictions and firewalls;
- No data inspection or recording;
- Apps designed for any device you’d like to use;
- 24/7 Support.
The absence of any of these features will considerably impact your experience. Don’t worry, we will help you choose a premium VPN with Russian IP addresses that meets all the critical criteria. After studying and scoring dozens of popular providers, here are the best services of the bunch:
- User Rating
- 14827 Votes
- $3.29 / month
- 7715 Votes
- $3.24 / month
- 6930 Votes
- $6.67 /mo
Here’s How to Get a Russian IP Address with a VPN
VPN apps are super easy to use even if you don’t have any previous experience. Follow the instructions below to get started:
- Select a VPN service from our recommended list and create an account.
- Download and Install a VPN app for a chosen device.
- Lunch the VPN app and connect to a server located in Russia.
- That’s it. Now you have obtained a Russian IP Address that you can start using.
You can make sure that your IP address is changed with this service.
Can I Use a Free VPN to Get a Russian IP Address?
Technically yes, some free VPNs supply Russian IP addresses but we don’t recommend using any of them. As you know, the only free cheese is in a mousetrap. When signing up for free VPNs, you pay differently. Free VPNs generate profit by serving you advertisements, installing tracking cookies on your device, and selling your data to the third parties. All these factors turn free services into a treat to your privacy.
Their functionality doesn’t impress either. Slow speeds, data caps, and inability to bypass geo-restrictions make free VPNs unusable for video streaming and gaming. Torrenting is also impossible because they ban P2P traffic. Free VPNs and anonymizers will do for general browsing but is it worth it to risk your security to get so little?
No need to move to Russia to get its IP address. The simplest and most beneficial solution is to install a VPN on your device. Make sure to take a look at our list of the best VPNs to change your IP to Russia. Not only will they hide your location but also safeguard your web activities.