ExpressVPN is one of the most reputable VPN providers. It definitely deserves praise for being a secure service thanks to its strict zero-logging policy and military-grade encryption. But first of all, ExpressVPN is famous for its lightning-fast connection speeds ideal for watching videos online and gaming. However, because of the streaming platforms’ crackdown on VPNs, it got really difficult to get access to geo-restricted media content. Netflix is especially harsh in this regard. It spares no effort and money to figure out IP addresses belonging to VPNs and put them on the blacklist. So, if you are planning to subscribe to this VPN service or you are already a client you are probably wondering: “Does ExpressVPN work with Netflix”. Read on to find out the answer.
Why Netflix Bans VPNs
Netflix is available in 190+ countries, and a unique content library has been developed for each of them. For example, in many regions, Netflix catalog includes titles of local production. The downside of this policy is that the size of media libraries and their content can significantly differ in various territories. If you live in a small country, you are able to get only several hundreds of films and shows while some other markets have ten times larger catalogs. American Netflix traditionally remains the largest, so it comes as no surprise that many viewers want to access it. But this particular Netflix will be blocked if you are not in the USA. Fortunately, you can move to America virtually if you change your IP address. VPN services provide such an opportunity.
Naturally, Netflix doesn’t like the fact that content intended for specific countries becomes available to all-comers. Geo-blocking circumvention is not entirely legal because viewers violate the law on copyright protection. If your country doesn’t have a license to broadcast a show or a film, then you don’t have the right to watch it. But with a VPN, users can mislead Netflix and get any content that they like. In the end, Netflix decided to put an end to VPN’s intervention and waged a campaign to blacklist any such a service they can detect.
Can You Use ExpressVPN with Netflix
I conducted several tests to check if I can get access to American Netflix from abroad with ExpressVPN. For this, I contacted the provider’s support and enquired about servers in the USA that work with Netflix. Then I connected to one of them and signed in to my Netflix account. And it worked! To continue my experiment, I tested a different server location in the USA and it granted me access to US Netflix as well. I also connected to other servers that were not on the list of recommended by ExpressVPN. This time, Netflix turn me down.
The conclusion is that ExpressVPN still works with Netflix but you must know exact servers to hook up to. The provider constantly monitors the situation with their servers and updates info on which facilities are still capable of unblocking Netflix. How does ExpressVPN manage to do it when so many other VPNs fail? Nobody knows the answer for sure. Probably, it is because of the respectable server count that includes 1,700 facilities around the world or ExpressVPN just knows the secret that no other VPN service is aware of. Be that as it may, you can still use ExpressVPN with Netflix.
How to Fix ExpressVPN Proxy Error on Netflix
It may happen that when you access US Netflix through ExpressVPN you still see a proxy error message. This fact shouldn’t scare you (at least not now), it might be an issue that is easy to fix. Before you start writing frustrated messages to the support team, try one of these solutions:
- Change a server you connected to. It is not a secret that Netflix became very successful in detecting IP addresses belonging to VPN servers. It may happen that your current server fell another victim of Netflix’s anti-VPN campaign. Just try a different location that the provider recommends.
- Switch to a different protocol. By default, ExpressVPN uses UPD OpenVPN tunneling protocol which ensures the best combination of security and speed. However, some websites may block it. There are many other options available on ExpressVPN’s apps, I recommend that you try to access Netflix with different protocols in this order: TCP OpenVPN, L2TP, and if they didn’t help opt for PPTP.
- Disable your security software. Your antivirus or firewall may block VPN traffic. Check the settings of your program and add ExpressVPN and/or UPD port to exceptions.
- Update ExpressVPN app. Check what version of software you use and see if there are any updates. If you have the latest version sometimes an action as simple as an app restart may help resolve a problem with connection.
- Restart your device. Your computer and other gadgets are prone to accidental memory leakages that may affect its performance. Flush cache and then reboot your device.
- If nothing helps, it’s time to contact ExpressVPN for help with Netflix. They may offer you to manually configure DNS or proxy settings or resort to other solutions. If you are a Windows user you can look up some of the methods here.
ExpressVPN and Netflix Summary
ExpressVPN remains among rare VPNs that are able to unblock Netflix. Not all its servers are equally good for accessing the video streaming platform though. The vendor has a list of servers on its apps that are recommended for U.S. Netflix.
Also, don’t hesitate to ask their friendly support for other available options. ExpressVPN offers some of the best connection speeds in the industry so you can expect up to the mark experience with video streams. Fir